Wednesday, November 21, 2012

LINCOLN is Brilliant Because Abraham Lincoln Was Brilliant


On rare occassion a film comes along that is so brilliant, so inspiring, and so well executed by the actors, director, writers, and production team that the lessons shared by the storytellers has a sweeping impact on how you see yourself and the world we live in.


Steven Spielberg's 'Lincoln' is one of the best films I have ever seen. 

To begin, the subject, 'Clever, Honest Abraham' as I would prefer to call our remarkable former president, is such a compelling character thrown into the mix of extraordinary circumstances during the time of civil unrest America faced nearly 150 years ago.


Lincoln, stars Mr. Daniel Day Lewis, who I believe is the best actor ever to appear in film.  And Mr. Day Lewis delievers another brilliant performance . . . one that may in fact be the most important role of his life till this point. How good of a performance did Mr. Day Lewis give?  He just raised the bar on 'Perfect'.

As expected, Mr. Spielberg's storyline, drawn from the extraordinary book publication about President Lincoln written by Doris Kearns Goodwin and the high-octane screenplay of Tony Kuschner (I once was a shareholder in one of Tony's production companies), portrayed a man so courageous, so benevolent, so intelligent, and so steeped in morals, that his life will forever change the course of the human race.

I was inspired.  I am inspired.

Clearly, Abraham Lincoln faced great challenges during his presidency, and Lewis delivers these challenges perfectly in Mr. Spielberg's brilliant film.

In these challenges, Lincoln never wavered.  He followed the course.  He believed.  And he let his faith in his belief guide him to do what was right.

As an advocate fighting to protect children from international abduction and human trafficking, there are times when it appears the wall we try to push back does not move.

I really appreciated seeing 'Lincoln' last night.

Bravo! Bravo! Bravo!

Do yourself a favor, seriously: go and see Lincoln.  It very well might make you ask yourself this question:  How can I be a better person?


                                                                           * * *

It has been about 6 years since I sat on the steps of the Lincoln Monument with my son, talking about freedom and belief in yourself and others the way our great President Abraham Lincoln did.  Two days ago, after a long day of meetings dealing with protecting children from abduction, I found myself sitting on those very same steps late at night thinking about this great man.

As we all know, the world is a much greater place because Abraham Lincoln existed.  I am sure these last few days will have a long-range impact on my life.